R&D Engineering Intern (Summer 2024)
To reinvent an industry, you have to build the best team. Join Formlabs if you want to bring groundbreaking professional 3D printers to the desktop of every designer, engineer, researcher, and artist in the world.
Our print process team is a mix of mechanical, systems, and software engineers. We develop and maintain the Formlabs printing process. Our team works closely with other engineering teams to research and develop next generation printers and materials. We use engineering, physics, and experimentation to turn ideas into beautiful and accurate parts.
Do you love hacking and DIY projects? Are you obsessed with figuring out how to make a complex system work better? We want you as an R&D Engineering Intern.
Internship Term: Summer 2024
Location: Onsite in Somerville, MA
Application Requirements: A portfolio of your previous engineering work/projects is required.
- Design, build, and innovate new 3D printing techniques - from developing new printer architectures to validating minute changes in galvo control
- Work across teams to help implement improvements to current products such as redesigning support structure algorithm based on experiment results
- Evaluate current printer performance for areas for improvement
- Design and execute experiments and use results to inform and develop improvements in software or hardware
- Tackle complex and open-ended problems across multiple engineering disciplines
- Are willing to question assumptions and back it up with data
- Are able to work autonomously to research
- Have experience with experiment design and data analysis
- Understand programming and scientific computing, ideally Python or Matlab
- Are familiar with mechanical design, mechatronics, and CAD modeling (Solidworks/OpenScad a plus)
Bonus Skills (Optional):
- Previous work on a consumer product
- Developed physics-based models of complex systems
Internships at Formlabs give students and recent graduates the opportunity to create, build, solve, and discover in every area of our business. Come build your career and build the future of 3D printing. Internship perks include social events, networking opportunities, access to our fully-stocked kitchens and onsite lunches, and unlimited 3D printing!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of 3D printing.