Senior Software Engineer, Orchestration
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Orchestration team is responsible for the tools and processes that go into moving code from commit to production. We ensure that every engineer at Mapbox is able to confidently and safely test, deploy, and release their code with minimal overhead while still allowing teams to customize the process to fit their unique needs. We work across both NA and EU time zones.
What You'll Do
With Orchestration, your focus will be on how we can make shipping features easy for Mapbox Engineers. You will develop and maintain the tools and infrastructure that Mapbox engineers use to test, deploy and release software, as well as work with teams to improve their ability to understand how their systems work and respond to issues more quickly. You will also be responsible to help mentor and guide the team as a technical leader.
- Create, enhance and support internal tools that power 40+ teams at Mapbox
- Lead discovery into new solutions for improving Mapbox's developer experience
- Work directly with developers to understand their needs across mobile, web and native products
- Enhance our CI/CD practices and tooling with a focus on improving developer productivity
- Build automation and tooling to improve our local development experience
- Create tools and dashboards to help developers better understand their costs and performance
- Provide recommendations and support around best practices in CI/CD, including testing, CI tooling, Cloud infrastructure, deploy and release practices and observability
- Stay on top of trends and explore new technologies that could be applied to Mapbox’s Platform
- Participate in our on-call rotation
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience with using Cloud Native technologies (Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, etc) and building on AWS, GCP or Azure
- Focus on the developer experience and how we enable teams to use our tooling
- Familiarity with creating tools for developers
- Understanding on how to mentor and grow fellow team members
- Being a technical leader who can bring a confident, informed opinion to the team
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Something looks off?