Software Development Engineer II, Navigation API
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
Navigation at Mapbox
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses, powering experiences and operations for customers like BMW, Toyota, Rivian, Instacart, and Strava.
The Navigation team develops and operates web services powering virtually all of Mapbox’s strategic navigation initiatives in consumer, automotive, and logistics. This is a highly multidisciplinary team, with work spanning distributed systems on AWS to geospatial localization, traffic telemetry, and mapping.
Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://www.mapbox.com/navigation
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Full-stack Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing and operating significant areas of our routing services. In this role, you can expect to:
- Drive the design, development, and testing of Mapbox tools.
- Design and implement scalable services for our API and routing engine tiers, following best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Design and improve services which power the data consumption and storage of the routing data.
- Shape internal tools and automations to make the whole engineering life easier and fun.
- Drive design and development of services quality metrics and analytics.
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing navigation products.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger navigation team; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
Navigation API services interact with many internal systems at Mapbox, making this a high-visibility team with great opportunities to collaborate across the company.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering web services in at least one backend language, e.g., Node, Python, C++, Rust.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS).
- Proficiency implementing monitoring instrumentation, triaging incidents, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills. Mapbox has offices across the globe. You should communicate about complex ideas concisely to an audience worldwide.
- Experience or interest in solving geo-spatial problems.
Candidates should also have:
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing in a multidisciplinary environment, supported by mentorship experience and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity