Software Development Engineer III, Data Platform
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What You’ll Do
Mapbox is looking for an experienced engineer to help grow the foundation of our platform. The Data Platform team owns, maintains and builds crucial services that Mapbox relies upon. We provide reliable and scalable ingestion, processing, warehousing and orchestration solutions.
You will be responsible for contributing to, operating, and improving all things related to our data platform. In this role, you can expect to:
- Support internal customers of the data platform by building infrastructure and tooling to address their needs
- Work on our ingestion systems that ingest terabytes of data a day
- Simplify and strengthen Mapbox’s processes and tools for designing, deploying, and monitoring data processing and querying workloads on AWS
- Contribute to our data processing systems that launch thousands of EMR clusters a day and add to our data lake at petabyte scale
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services
- Design systems and make decisions that will keep pace with the rapid growth of Mapbox
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Located in the Eastern Standard Time Zone of the US
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, efficient, and durable infrastructure on AWS
- Experience with our tech stack (Spark, Airflow, Python and/or node.js, Docker, AWS and Snowflake)
- Experience with Kubernetes is a plus
- Experience with distributed systems at scale
- Track record of building self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Our annual base compensation for this role ranges from $143,225 - $193,775 for most US locations and 5% to 10% higher for US locations with a higher cost of labor. Job level and actual compensation will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process (including skills and prior relevant experience, potential impact, and scope of role), market demands, and specific work location. Please discuss your specific work location with your recruiter for more information.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity