Localization automotive engineer III, HD Maps
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
Mapbox is a leading company specializing in the development of an Autopilot map. We are currently seeking a skilled and experienced Localization Engineer to join our dynamic Autopilot team. As a Localization Engineer, your primary responsibility will be to contribute to the development of our advanced localization module based on our autopilot map as reference. Our Localization SDK detects map features in real time, compares it with our reference map and combines this information with output of inertial sensors such as GPS and IMU.
What You'll Do
- Lead the Localization initiative at Mapbox, design (requirements and specifications), and building of the product roadmap for algorithmic stages.
- Code and develop relevant algorithmic stages within C++/ Python.
- Collaborate across multiple R&D teams to seamlessly integrate analytics solutions into our mapping products.
- Work closely with engineering teams to align product development with strategic objectives.
- Engage in direct communication with trend-setting customers, automotive OEMs in EU, US, Japan as well as suppliers like automotive Tier 1 companies and Mapping firms.
- Collaborate with business development teams to ensure that the product roadmap and design align with customer needs and market trends.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Bachelors in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of Robotics experience
- Academic or industry experience in one or more of the following areas related to mapping and localization: state estimation, probabilistic filtering, SLAM, LIDAR based localization, 3D reconstruction, camera based localization
- Solid knowledge or experiences in key areas of Kalman filters, SLAM, sensor fusion, and inertial navigation
- Proficient in C++ and In-depth knowledge in object-oriented programming, algorithms, data structures, and software design skills
- A solid foundation in math and robotics to propose creative solutions for autonomous systems.
- Good team player with great communication skills
- Passionately motivated to take ideas from R&D phase to a product
Nice to Have Traits for This Role
- Experience working with cameras, radars, LiDAR, GPS/IMU and in-depth knowledge for related data processing & sensor fusion
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience with GNSS measurement engine (ME)
- Experience with both OSR and SSR
- Sensor fusion with IMU, GPS and OdometryOdometry
- Embedded software development and optimization experience
- Software development for safety critical systems (ISO 26262)
- Vehicle integration experience
- A practical hands-on approach to complement the theoretical knowledge and creativity required to solve Autonomous Driving
- Experience testing complex perception systems
- Experience in working in agile development teams
- Experience in component and system integration, testing and verification on system and vehicle level
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity