Director of Business Operations
About the Job
We are developing a technology ecosystem that will provide civilizational levels of renewable energy. Building and deploying this technology ecosystem will require the company to grow meaningfully. This growth must be supported by scalable and efficient corporate operations.
You will be responsible for building and scaling the company’s operational backbone and core management functions in an agile, technologically-savvy fashion. This will include the growth and development of HR/talent, operational finance, procurement, resource planning, IT, physical security, and facilities functions. Furthermore, there are opportunities to contribute to the management of the company’s engineering, R&D, field operations, and manufacturing functions.
About the Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate has overseen business operations across several core functions at a dynamic company. They have extensive experience designing and implementing processes, creating and leading high-performing teams, and overseeing external service providers.
At heart, the ideal candidate is a builder. Bringing order to chaos is their core competency. They are not rigid and understand that what worked in a prior role may not best meet the needs of a new position.
The ideal candidate holds extremely high standards, implementing and managing processes that introduce the minimum possible friction for the internal stakeholders who interact with them. They are thoughtful, have high general intelligence, and are an excellent listener and learner.
The ideal candidate shows evidence of strong visualization and shaping capabilities – the ability to design and see a new process or system in his or her mind, and then take the steps to gather consensus and implement the process or system in the world.
They are savvy with technology, able to move fluidly between e-mail, chat-style messaging, spreadsheets, databases, and web applications. An experimenter and early adopter of new technological tools, the ideal candidate is able to quickly perceive the strengths and limitations of such tools and drive appropriate adoption among colleagues.
The ideal candidate has excellent interpersonal skills and will thrive in a creative, scrappy, and collaborative environment in which the best ideas change the company’s direction on a regular basis.
- Lead core operational functions, including HR/talent, operational finance, procurement, and facilities
- Evolve functions, processes, and tools to provide world-class support to the business
- Design systems to scale seamlessly as the company grows in headcount, geographic footprint, and business activities
- Build and lead an excellent team of corporate management and operations staff
- Drive complex projects, achieving synchronization among internal and external stakeholder groups
- Ability to consistently work in our Portland, OR headquarters
- Legal authorization to work in the United States
- 3+ years experience leading operations at a dynamic business
- Ability to design and improve processes, leveraging technology tools where applicable
- Ability to gain a threshold level of understanding across a broad range of topics, gaining deep understanding where necessary
- Track record of recruiting, retaining, and developing world class talent
- Experience identifying, onboarding, and overseeing external service providers
- High general intelligence
- Strong listening, visualization, and shaping skills
- 7+ years of experience leading operations at a dynamic business, or extraordinarily rapid advancement with lesser experience
- Experience scaling a startup from ~30 employees to ~100 employees (and beyond)
- Leadership experience in each of the following functional areas: finance, procurement, HR/talent, physical security, facilities, and IT
- Experience in engineering environments, preferably including the development and deployment of novel technologies
- Experience leading business expansion into new countries
- Prior responsibility for hands-on administration of operational computer systems (e.g. payroll, databases, ERP, or inventory) or equivalent experience administering data-based systems in a non-corporate context that gives the candidate the ability to understand and add meaningfully to the work of colleagues directly responsible for such systems
- Occasionally able to work longer hours and weekends to support critical needs
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Disability insurance
Office and shop environments have portable HEPA filtration. Employees are strongly encouraged to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.