Staff Guidance Engineer, Navigation API
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses, powering experiences and operations for customers like DPD, Porsche, Doordash and Instacart.
The Navigation team develops and operates web services powering virtually all of Mapbox’s strategic navigation initiatives in consumer, automotive, and logistics. This is a highly multidisciplinary team, with work spanning distributed systems on AWS to geospatial localization, traffic telemetry, and mapping.
Read about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://blog.mapbox.com/tagged/navigation
What You'll Do
As a Staff Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, developing and operating significant areas of our routing services. In this role, you can expect to:
- Solve complex guidance scenarios that don’t have good solutions today
- Develop best-in-class guidance experiences that make routing enjoyable, not robotic
- Provide highly customizable guidance solutions for large OEMs as well as very niche customers with unique use cases
- Build the tools others will use to unlock incredible mapping and navigation solutions never seen before
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Experience engineering modern C++ and Linux server applications in a commercial or open-source development environment, or equivalent performance-critical systems experience with Go, Rust, or the JVM.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc.)
- A rigorous approach to problem solving, using experiments and data analysis to drive quality of service improvements
- Willingness to go beyond your comfort zone and develop new skills across the full range of our stack
- Experience building navigation guidance solutions including rigorous quality testing
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Something looks off?