Associate General Counsel - Commercial and Product
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What You'll Do
We’re looking for a lawyer with 7 + years of practicing attorney experience, ideally in a technology company, to join our small and collaborative legal team. The right candidate will be hard-working, keen to learn our products and business, and willing to dig into a wide variety of projects in a fast-paced environment. On the commercial side, this encompasses complex data in-licenses, as well as sales and partner deals. On the product side, this includes the full gamut of working with our product and engineering colleagues and our Lead Privacy Counsel to help bring products and features alive and to our customers!
This is a senior role where you will come up with practical and creative solutions to get deals done and advance our business. Drafting and communication skills are extremely important. We believe that it is the role of in-house counsel to own the deal. Working with the GC and other legal team members, you will develop the ability to both mitigate and accept risk. We almost never say to our colleagues “that’s a business issue for you to decide.”
This is a senior individual contributor role. We are not processing hundreds of small sales deals with tweaks to the governing law clause. Instead, our data in-licenses and sales deals are complex and require a thoughtful approach by a senior lawyer. While we work closely together and thus teach and learn from each other every day, you will not have direct reports.
This is a combination of a senior commercial and product role. Some product lawyers don’t want to draft agreements and be in the fray with sales folks; some commercial lawyers aren’t interested in getting through the engineering speak to figure out what the hell the engineers/product folks are trying to do and help them get it done. We’re looking for someone who is enthusiastic about all of it!
This position requires a high degree of technical software experience/background. You have to understand the technical ins and outs of our APIs and SDKs and the various data layers – our product offering is technically complex. An undergraduate degree in engineering or computer science is a definite plus.
This is a high-growth, interdisciplinary position where you'll be learning every day and you’ll need to become conversant in our technology and business. We don’t believe that lawyers can give good legal advice in a vacuum, and so it’s critical that you are interested in and become immersed in our business and products.
We think it’s important to continually be improving operational processes/updating forms because this is how we can scale a small legal organization, supporting a fast-growing tech company. You need to share and participate in these efforts to scale our department and improve our services. Prior work in a pre-IPO company will be extremely helpful.
We are a flat organization, but we pitch in and help each other. You must be willing to roll up your sleeves and dive into a variety of legal issues, enjoy the give and take of collaboration and take feedback.
This is a perfect position for an ambitious lawyer who wants to be a General Counsel of a small technology company in 5 years. Not that we want you to leave Mapbox, but we are training cross-functional generalists who are able to understand and practically address business problems and risk and who can work in a variety of cross-functional areas which is the perfect training for a General Counsel.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 7+ years of practicing attorney experience, with 2+ years at a top-tier law firm in any area and 5+ years in-house at a technology company in commercial/data/IP licensing /sales deals/product counseling (not patent prosecution).
- Extensive experience working on complex sales deals/data in-licenses to get deals done.
- Candidates with an engineering, computer science or other technical background will have an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills. Your writing and verbal communications need to be clear and concise.
- A practical and customer-centric orientation and negotiation style. You understand (or will quickly learn) the business deal so you know what matters and what doesn't and will focus on practical resolutions to speed deals through the pipeline.
- A sense of humor. We take our work seriously, but we try not to take ourselves too seriously.
- The legal team is working entirely remotely. While we think candidates who live near technology hubs often have the best backgrounds, we will consider remote candidates anywhere in the Pacific time zone.
- JD degree from top-tier law school and active membership in at least one US state bar.
- If your resume doesn’t clearly demonstrate the first bullet point above, you should include a cover note as to why you are interested in this role and why you think you would be a good fit despite not meeting those criteria. Resumes without a cover note in those circumstances will likely not be considered.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
The salary range for this position is $210,000-$270,000, depending on level, location, plus equity and benefits.
Something looks off?