Software Development Engineer II, iOS, Search API
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.5 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers. Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, tracking your personal best mile on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps.
What We Do
Search has a lot of challenging areas for engineers to explore and grow. Mapbox search is about location and it can be highly adjustable to the end-user use cases, like navigation routable points, along the route search, limited connectivity search, etc. We focus our efforts on relevance, geo-context optimizations, data conflation, merging offline and online solutions and measuring all of that with high-volume user feedback. Search is the key component of our solutions. Every route and every delivery starts with a search.
What You'll Do
We are looking for innovative and curious Senior Software Engineers to join our Search API team and help us expand the geographic coverage of our global language engine for Mapbox search. Currently we support dozens of languages such as Japanese, Dutch, Finnish, and Portuguese.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Search API team, you'll be responsible for designing, developing, and operating significant areas of our search services. We will start with making our offline/pre-cached search engine production ready and scalable to support faster updates, lower bandwidth usage, a growing number of language rules, and predictive caching algorithms to make our customers’ experience as smooth as possible.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Write algorithms in C++ to build the best offline location search on the market, grow you search-specific knowledge and tech stack
- Be on the cutting edge of a brand new search engine with the infinite ability to experiment and improve without being held back by the old ways
- Design and implement scalable services for our API and search engines, following and establishing best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger search organization; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation
- Evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing search products and become a well-rounded owner of what you deliver
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction
- Mentor other software engineers to develop all aspects of their engineering skill sets, including participating in design and code reviews
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Strong in C++, algorithms, and performance optimization
- Experience with mobile native SDK development (iOS and/or Android)
- Strong communication skills and ability to collaborate effectively with globally distributed teams
- Implementation of automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git
Nice to Have Traits for This Role
- Experience working on search engines (e.g. ranking, relevance, recommendations, etc.)
- Experience engineering web services in at least one backend language (e.g. Node.js, Rust, or Java)
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g. Docker, ECS, etc. on AWS)
- Experience with geospatial data analysis and processing
- Multilingual in various regional languages in South America (Portuguese and/or Spanish) and Asia (Korean and/or Vietnamese)
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity