Senior Map Designer
The Map Design team is a small, versatile group of product designers and cartographers who are obsessed with finding systematic solutions to hard problems, and, in the process, inventing the future of how people interact with location. Our work drives the maps that millions of users interact with every day through customer apps from companies such as Toyota, Strava, Yahoo Japan, Nextdoor, and many more.
We’re looking for a Senior Map Designer to join our team and help create the vision for the most beautiful maps that users around the world can use out-of-the-box or customize using Studio, our design software, or our APIs and SDKs. The Senior Map Designer will execute the designs for this vision and collaborate with other teams, such as the map renderer and map data teams, to ensure the product delivers on quality, performance and desirability.
What You'll Do
- Drive the roadmap for the core map styles that Mapbox ships as part of their product portfolio, working closely together with the geo-data team and developers
- Hands-on design work of the maps, from ideation to delivery
- Enhance and maintain the core map styles
- Participate in user research/customer success conversations to be close to customer needs
- Provide requirements for internal tooling around the cartographic design workflow
- Work directly with developers to develop and maintain design systems
- Work with cross-functional teams to help define the map renderer specification
- Assist enterprise customers with map design requests, from building custom base maps to providing consultations on customer’s maps
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Proven experience designing maps
- Experience designing sustainable systems
- Excellent visual design skills to demonstrate ideas
- Attention to detail
- Discipline to manage your own schedule in alignment with the team’s overall needs
- Able to perform in a fast-changing environment
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Open-minded to teach and learn
- Expertise with design tools, such as Figma or Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to create rendered map mock-ups
- Expertise in visual/graphic design
- Bonus: Familiarity with command line tools and Git / Github
- Bonus: Mapbox Studio & Mapbox GL style specification, including expression syntax
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Something looks off?