Application Security Engineer III
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snap, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world.
What We Do
Mapbox is looking for a Senior Application Security Engineer to join our Security & Compliance team. As a member of our diverse and globally distributed team, you’ll play an advisory role across the whole company. You will help all Mapbox engineers build secure-by-default systems and triage and mend vulnerabilities on their systems. Engineers on the Security & Compliance team build scanning and threat detection systems to monitor Mapbox’s cloud deployment (AWS-native, mainly container-based, 7 global regions including China) and other digital assets. They conduct risk assessments of new vendor integrations and product launches, and facilitate a bug bounty program that leverages the diverse expertise of a global community of security researchers. Lastly, they build and maintain core standards around security, quality, and privacy—reflected in our compliance certifications—and the automation to monitor and enforce these standards across Mapbox.
What You’ll Do
We’re excited to share our passion for scalable, engineering-driven, security with you, and for your perspective to help shape our team’s goals. You will be responsible for contributing to, operating, and improving all things related to our security and compliance services. In this role, you can expect to:
- Conduct AWS security reviews (deep dive into our AWS environment to validate security best practices are being followed).
- Make security improvements recommendations and work with our production support teams to implement security improvement in AWS.
- Partner with the Lead Security Architect in fixing custom-built security tools bots.
- Conduct in-depth security reviews of application code, working closely with developers to code securely from the outset and address issues early during coding and testing phases.
- Partner with internal product teams to implement a secure-by-default design into their own products.
- Partner with Mapbox engineering teams to understand and resolve security incidents that arise on their services.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Computer Science or similar
- 5+ years of experience in product or application security and related software engineering roles
- Extensive experience with AWS services like API Gateway, CodeBuild, GuardDuty, CloudTrail log review, IAM, Security Groups, CloudFront, VPCs, Inspector, CloudFormation, ECS, Lambda, DynamoDB, S3, Athena, and Glue.
- Subject matter expertise in security best practices and the ability to quickly make correct risk assessments that prioritize the overall benefit to the company.
- Experience with SOC, GDPR, and ISO compliance standards a plus
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity