Software Development Engineer III, Data Platform
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Platform organization at Mapbox consists of four cross functional software engineering teams - Ingestion, Data Warehousing, API Infrastructure, and Orchestration. As one organization we provide the foundational infrastructure, products, and tools that Mapbox engineers from our Search, Navigation, and Maps teams build upon to deliver secure customer facing products and services. Collectively, we support 200+ (and growing) Mapbox Engineers located in North America, UK, Germany, Finland, Japan, Poland, and Minsk.
We are distributed across the US, Canada, and Finland. Outside of the Helsinki office, we work remotely, and mostly async. We believe in iterative process experimentation, quarterly team feedback surveys, and are proud of our collaborative team environment that fosters growth and delivery at scale.
As individual sub teams, our work and tech stack varies such as:
- Ingestion: 40B GPS points collected per day, processed using Flink / Kinesis Data Analytics. This powers live traffic and Mapbox Movement, a human mobility dataset.
- Data Warehousing: Our Data Lake - Athena, Snowflake, S3. Also disaster recovery, EMR Serverless and Mode Business Analytics. We also own “Loading Dock,” an internal ETL tool that processes petabytes of data per day.
- API Infrastructure: We are the AWS SMEs of Mapbox. We ensure that Mapbox engineers are equipped with the best practices, tools, and resources to effectively and securely deploy their services on a global scale.
- Orchestration: We own how every build across Mapbox is built, deployed and managed. This spans AWS Codebuild, Github Actions, TravisCI and CircleCI. We are migrating many teams to Github actions and are excited at the real time feedback it is providing to users.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer III (SDEIII) who is passionate about building and delivering internal developer tools and services that help grow the foundation of that Mapbox Platform.
As an SDEIII on the Platform team, you can expect to:
- Support internal customers, Mapbox Engineers, of the Platform by building infrastructure and tooling that addresses their needs.
- Work on our ingestion systems that ingest terabytes of data a day.
- Craft and enable our Platform strategy, including all sub-teams, company wide.
- Simplify, secure, and strengthen Mapbox’s processes and tools for designing, deploying, and monitoring data processing and querying workloads on AWS.
- Contribute to our data processing systems that launch thousands of EMR clusters a day and add to our data lake at petabyte scale.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Design systems that “see around the corner” to enable the rapid growth of Mapbox.
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Located in the US/Canada Eastern Time Zone.
- 7+ years of relative industry engineering experience.
- Passion for developing internal tools and infrastructure for Mapbox Engineers.
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, efficient, secure, and durable infrastructure on AWS.
- Experience with our tech stack – NodeJS, TypeScript, Java or Scala, Python, Spark, Airflow, and all things AWS (including EMR, ECS, Fargate)
- Track record of building secure self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset.
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
Nice to Have Traits for Platform
- Ingestion team: Experience building AI/ML Ops platforms in addition to real time ingestion pipelines using EMR, Kinesis, and Flink.
- Data Warehousing team: Experience with SQL, data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake), and building and implementing data lake strategies.
- API Infrastructure team: Experience building, maintaining, and scaling secure AWS infrastructure with Terraform, CloudFormation, CDN, IAM, Fargate, EC2, ECS, Route53, and DynamoDB.
- Orchestration team: Experience building and optimizing CI/CD pipelines in TravisCI, CircleCI, AWS Codebuild, as well as coding with Golang.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Our annual base compensation for this role ranges from $174,250 - $235,750 for most US locations and 5% to 10% higher for US locations with a higher cost of labor. Job level and actual compensation will be decided based on factors including, but not limited to, individual qualifications objectively assessed during the interview process (including skills and prior relevant experience, potential impact, and scope of role), market demands, and specific work location. Please discuss your specific work location with your recruiter for more information.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity