Software Development Engineer II (Rust), Navigation API
Who We Are
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized, immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
Navigation serves customers with use cases ranging from turn-by-turn navigation in electric vehicles to delivery route planning for fleets of thousands of trucks. Our services are often at the heart of the operations of our customers’ businesses, powering experiences and operations for customers like BMW, Toyota, Rivian, Instacart, and Strava.
The Navigation team develops and operates web services powering virtually all of Mapbox’s strategic navigation initiatives in consumer, automotive, and logistics. This is a highly multidisciplinary team, with work spanning distributed systems on AWS to geospatial localization, traffic telemetry, and mapping.
Read more about Mapbox Navigation on our blog: https://www.mapbox.com/navigation
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Navigation API team you will be spending a lot of time working on a state of the art routing engine for Electric Vehicles (EV) mostly written in Rust. Along with that is a constellation of supporting services which power the data consumption and storage of the routing data.
Projects you might take part of:
- Improving EV trip planning with various constraints
- Improving EV battery consumption model
- Scaling our solution’s performance and scalability to do more with less
- Up-to-the-minute live data integration to improve EV routing qualities even further
In this role, you will be expected to:
- Design and implement scalable services for our API and routing engine tiers, following best practices for deployment, resilience, and observability.
- Run and design experiments to evaluate the quality, reliability, and capacity requirements of our user-facing navigation products.
- Participate in end-to-end feature implementation within the larger navigation team; review code and design documents, shepherd feature releases, and participate in an on-call rotation.
- Work with product owners, sales engineering, and management to drive future product direction.
Navigation API services interact with many internal systems at Mapbox, making this a high-visibility team with great opportunities to collaborate across the Company.
Read more about our solutions at:
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- Strong proficiency in engineering web services (3+ years) - the experience with either Rust, C++ or Node is a big plus.
- Experience building highly-available API services within container-based environments (e.g., Docker, ECS, Fargate, Kubernetes, etc. on AWS), implementing service monitoring instrumentation, triaging incidents, resolving customer issues, and continuous product improvement.
- Knowledge of operating systems and distributed systems (e.g., fault-tolerance, consistency, service discovery, etc). System architecture experience and understanding of architectural concepts. Knowing algorithms and data structures, ability to improve the service based on data analysis and performance profiling.
- Being an excellent team player with the ability to work within a collaborative environment.
- Enthusiasm for learning and knowledge sharing, supported by strong communication skills in English.
- Passion about programming and having a strong focus on quality aspects. Implementation of automated tests.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity