Software Development Engineer III, Cloud Platform
Mapbox is the leading real-time location platform for a new generation of location-aware businesses. Mapbox is the only platform that equips organizations with the full set of tools to power the navigation of people, packages, and vehicles everywhere. More than 3.9 million registered developers have chosen Mapbox because of the platform’s flexibility, security, and privacy compliance. Organizations use Mapbox applications, data, SDKs, and APIs to create customized and immersive experiences that delight their customers.
What We Do
The Cloud Platform team at Mapbox ensures seamless Continuous Integration and Delivery, reliable API Infrastructure encompassing core networking and compute resources, all backed with deep AWS operations expertise critical for Mapbox’s AWS environment. We support 300+ (and growing) Mapbox Engineers located in North America, UK, Germany, Finland, Japan, Poland, and Minsk.
We are distributed across the US, Canada and Finland. Outside of the Helsinki office, we work remotely, and mostly async. We believe in iterative process experimentation, quarterly team feedback surveys and are proud of our collaborative team environment that fosters growth and delivery at scale.
Cloud Platform is broken down into two individual sub teams and our work and tech stack varies such as:
- API Infrastructure: We are the AWS SMEs of Mapbox. We ensure that Mapbox engineers are equipped with the best practices, tools, and resources to effectively and securely deploy their services on a global scale. This spans AWS ECS, EC2, Fargate, Lambda, CloudFront, ControlTower, Route53, and more.
- Orchestration: We own how every build across Mapbox is built, deployed and managed. This spans AWS Codebuild, Github Actions, TravisCI and CircleCI. We are migrating many teams to Github actions and are excited at the real time feedback it is providing to users.
What You'll Do
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer III (SDEIII) who is passionate about building and delivering internal developer tools and services that help grow the foundation of the Mapbox Platform.
As an SDEIII on the Cloud Platform team, you can expect to:
- Lead and deliver our company-wide retooling and migration to a multi-account AWS environment.
- Support Mapbox Engineers by building reliable and scalable infrastructure and adaptable tooling that addresses their needs.
- Broadly influence and lead the Mapbox Cloud Platform strategy including AWS architecture, best practices and Operational Excellence company wide.
- Architect and maintain a comprehensive observability platform, such as Datadog or Observe, to enable real-time monitoring, alerting, and analytics across the company's entire cloud infrastructure.
- Promote a culture of operational excellence by meticulously testing and monitoring our systems and code, and being on-call to support the health of our services.
- Design systems that “see around the corner” to enable the rapid growth of Mapbox.
- Document your work and decision-making processes, and lead presentations and discussions in a way that is easy for others to understand.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role
- 8+ years of relative industry engineering experience.
- Experience working in a large-scale, complex AWS multi-account architecture.
- Passion for developing internal tools and infrastructure for Mapbox Engineers.
- Proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, efficient, secure, and durable infrastructure on AWS.
- Experience with our tech stack – NodeJS, TypeScript, Terraform, and AWS (EC2, ECS, Fargate, CDK, CloudFormation, CDN, IAM, Route53, DynamoDB).
- Track record of building secure self-service and high-quality tools for developers with a customer-driven mindset.
- A desire to share your expertise through documentation, mentorship, and both written and vocal discussion.
- A desire to work with individuals with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- Autonomy and proactivity around driving work to completion in the face of ambiguity.
Nice to Have Traits for Cloud Platform
- Cloud Security: Experience with building and delivering secure infrastructure and software, including threat modeling, complex IAM and resource management.
- Data governance, data privacy: GDPR, CCPA compliance, encryption standards, and implementing secure data lifecycle management practices within cloud environments.
- FinOps: instrumenting cost tracking, understanding cloud pricing models by service and use case, implementing cost-optimization strategies (like SavingsPlans, Reserved Instances, Budgets) and automating the shut down of over-provisioned deployments.
What We Value
In addition to our core values, which are not unique to this position and are necessary for Mapbox leaders:
- We value high-performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity