Data Center Technician
Pilot is a modern connectivity company based in New York City. We deliver fiber-optic internet and network services to businesses with no contracts, backed by a 100% uptime guarantee and 24/7 proactive support.
We're a passionate, close-knit team that believes businesses have more important things to worry about than their internet connection. Our top priority is enabling extraordinary work across all industries with connectivity solutions that are adaptive, agile, and designed with the customer in mind.
ON A TYPICAL DAY YOU’LL
- Perform routine work at our data centers as well as occasional work at a variety of field locations (office buildings) and/or Pilot’s warehouse.
- Continually audit and document all data pertaining to Pilot’s data center infrastructure and ensure that information is kept up-to-date
- Respond to requests to connect, disconnect, and/or troubleshoot circuits from internal teams such as Network Engineering, Network Support, and Construction
- Liaise with data center operators for routine requests (cross connects, access requests, etc)
- Iterate on and maintain standards and best practices for Pilot data center infrastructure
- Troubleshoot hardware and connectivity problems in collaboration with our Network Support and Engineering teams.
- Monitor facilities systems, respond to abnormal conditions/alarms, and resolve issues in conjunction with facility staff or contractors (ie. environmentals/HVAC)
- Maintain inventory for cabling, optics and network equipment for all points of presence and Pilot’s warehouse
- Order, rack, and cable new network equipment when required
- Support the Network, Construction, and Project Engineering teams with maintenance projects
- Provide technical answers and resources to other Pilot departments in relation to current DC capacity, customer needs, and supported services
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with colleagues, vendors, and customers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues.
- Ability to employ a customer-centric approach, including awareness of customer impact and potential risk mitigation
- Can-do positive attitude and interest in quick deployment and resolution
- Demonstrated successful collaboration skills and experience within a team
- Preferred experience in data center operations and understanding of cable methodology, best practices, internet routing, and network interconnection
- Experience with crimping and labeling and the usage of patch panels, fiber optic connectors, optic types, and form factors
- Understanding of the difference between LC, SC, MTP, CFP2, QSFP, and SFP+
- Understanding of high power optics and attenuation related to DWDM systems
- Experience with AC and DC power systems
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Availability for off-hours work (late night/early morning) as needed for emergency needs
- Comfort with frequent travel via mass-transit to sites in NYC and ability to travel up to 15% of the year to sites outside NY
PILOT’S PAY & PERKS
- Base salary of $70,000 - $85,000
- Company-sponsored Medical, Dental, Vision Coverage
- Company-sponsored 401(k)
- Commuter & Wellness Reimbursement
- Competitive PTO
At Pilot, we believe differences make us stronger, and that our diversity is something to celebrate. Pilot hires without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (and pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Pilot Fiber, Inc. is not open to third-party solicitation or resumes for our posted positions. Any resume submitted to a Pilot Fiber, Inc. employee by a recruiting firm that does not have a valid, written search agreement with us will be considered a referral, regardless of whether it is submitted for a posted position or for general consideration, and no matter how it is submitted (via email, the Internet, or other means). No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by Pilot Fiber, Inc. as a result of the referral or through other means.
VISA SPONSORSHIP NOT AVAILABLE