Full-Stack Software Engineer, Fleet
Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
About The Position
You will be a key contributor to front-end and back-end engineering on cloud software systems on our “Fleet” team, which is a highly cross-functional team that designs our sensing systems and the cloud applications that connect them. You’ll work alongside other software engineers and collaborate directly with hardware and firmware engineers to build features in applications (eg demo.sofarocean.com) and APIs (eg docs.sofarocean.com) that interact with our hardware products: Spotter, Smart Mooring, next generation platforms and Sofar’s new open hardware connectivity stack - Bristlemouth https://www.bristlemouth.org. You thrive in small and collaborative multidisciplinary teams, and are eager to pitch in to debug and solve gnarly issues (even when it's obviously a hardware problem). You strive for the shared success of improving the health of our oceans and planet by shipping a cohesive, solid and impactful product.
You’re a full-stack engineer who leans front end, with experience developing front-end and back-end elements of modern web applications. Our tech stack includes Angular and React on the frontend with backend APIs written using Node.js, Typescript, Express, Postgres, and Nest.js, along with some data processing services written in Python. You will own features across the stack and should be comfortable architecting solutions from data storage layer to UIs.
- Passionate about building a product with a positive impact on the world
- 3+ years experience of professional software development experience in modern cloud environments
- Significant professional experience with modern Typescript and Angular or React
- Significant professional experience with modern Node.js, Express, Postgres, Nest.js, or Python
- Owns the full lifecycle of features from conception, development, testing, and release with CI/CD
- A solid communicator who enjoys collaborating with other engineers, designers, PMs, and scientists
- Rapidly acquire new technical skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, high-delivery environment
- Excited to be be a part of a small but growing startup team
Estimated Salary Range
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Something looks off?