Technical Account Manager
IT, Sales & Business Development
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 2, 2023
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
As a Technical Account Manager at Alation, you are the trusted advisor and mentor at your cohort of strategic customers. This is a highly technical role with a large customer facing portion. Partnered closely with the account team, you will ensure your customers continue to realize maximum value from Alation.
In this role you will help your customers use, expand and troubleshoot the Alation platform and be the voice of the customer within Alation, interacting with Support, Product Management, Engineering and Sales.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge and experience in data management, data analytics or data science, interfacing with both business and technical users. The successful candidate will be able to work in a fast paced environment, have a natural curiosity to learn new technologies and topics, be a self starter and proactively engage customers.
What you will do:
- Understand why the customer purchased Alation and their desired business outcomes
- Participate in account knowledge transfer sessions with Alation pre-sales and Professional Services
- Partner with the account team to develop a long term success plan, and assist the customer in execution against that plan
- Guide and assist customers with a variety of technical challenges, from architecture to adding new data sources to troubleshooting scripts
- Lead customers through on-premise and cloud based product installation procedures
- Conduct periodic training sessions in person or over a video conference
- Aid in configuring single sign-on (SSO) authentication using SAML, LDAP, and/or SCIM
- Configure out-of-box database, file system and Business Intelligence tool connectors
- Produce sample scripts against the Alation REST API
- Provide input on new features to Product Management
- Document lessons learned, tips/tricks and contribute knowledge base articles
- Participate in customer community forums
- Monitor and provide input to Support cases
Who you are:
- Motivated self starter to work in a fast paced startup environment. Must be proactive to be successful in this role
- Comfortable working in a non-traditional office environment using virtual teaming and working remotely
- Passionate about ensuring customers get maximum value out of their investment
- Professional customer-facing communications and client-management skills
- Demonstrated inclination to share knowledge and assist teammates
- Willing to travel 10-30%
You should have:
- Minimum 5+ years of consulting experience, preferably within a Customer Success or Professional Services organization
- Experience administering Linux operating systems
- Experience working with containers, e.g. Docker
- Experience in network troubleshooting with tools such as telnet, tracert, netstat
- Experience with at least one public cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with multiple databases, warehouses and data lakes
- Excellent SQL query skills
- Experience coding against REST APIs using Python, Go, or Shell scripts
- Experience with Business Intelligence tools, e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik Sense, SAP BO
- Working with big data, e.g. Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, Spark, Impala
- NoSQL technologies, e.g. MongoDB, Apache Avro, GraphQL, Neo4j
- Java coding
- Experience with Alation or other data cataloging/governance tools
- Observability tools such as Data Dog, Splunk, Sumo Logic
Base Salary Target: $130,000 - $149,000
The base salary range is specific to the United States. The salary of the final candidate selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to internal equity, experience, education, work location, specialty, and training. If the final candidate has a different level of experience, the base salary target range may be lower or higher than what is published.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!