Senior Graphic Designer
Software Engineering, Design
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
We’re looking for a talented and experienced Senior Graphic Designer to join our team and bring the Alation brand to life through outstanding visual storytelling. As the Senior Graphic Designer, you’ll lead the conceptualization, development, and execution of a wide range of creative deliverables for many teams across the organization. You’ll collaborate closely with our Creative Director and other stakeholders on the go-to-market side to deliver engaging, effective design solutions that meet business objectives while ensuring the Alation brand remains cohesive through it all.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Create and/or oversee the generation of externally-facing communication assets including, but not limited to, sales collateral, presentations, organic social media, paid advertising, and website, email, and event environmental graphics.
- Work closely with stakeholders, including the executive leadership team, to ensure accurate intake of project requirements, share creative concepts, and navigate feedback to ensure both the stakeholders’ and brand design team’s needs are met in a timely manner.
- Independently assess and problem-solve with each project request, providing recommendations, while partnering regularly with the Creative Director to ensure all deliverables and deadlines are met.
- Work on a wide range of presentations to provide the best slide experience, from sales pitch decks, to company all-hands, to big corporate announcements/initiatives.
- Update and maintain a repository of visual assets, including stock photography, iconography, and graphic design files.
- Continually develop and evolve the Alation brand.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks based on deadlines and stakeholder needs.
- Develop creative branding concepts for big company initiatives including, but not limited to, company kick-offs, industry conferences, and special projects across the org.
Who You Are:
- Have a degree in graphic design or other design-related discipline.
- Have at least 7-10 years of experience working as a brand or graphic designer on an in-house marketing team or agency.
- Have strong design sensibilities and problem-solving skills, with a thorough understanding of how information hierarchy, color theory, typography, composition, and other design principles come together to create effective, impactful designs.
- Are a strong, conceptual thinker who can present and sell your ideas with confidence to stakeholders.
- Have an excellent eye for details, and can spot when something isn’t aligned, even if off by just one pixel.
- Are an expert in Adobe Creative Suite (primarily Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and proficient in Figma.
- Are well-versed in PowerPoint and Google Slides.
- Have a positive can-do attitude which allows you to thrive in a collaborative, rapidly-growing environment
- Read this entire posting and put a link to a gif of a puppy or kitten (your pick) doing something cute in your cover letter (we’re not into trick questions, but great design requires reading the requirements to deeply understand stakeholders).
- Have excellent communication and project management skills—you’re not afraid to speak up and ask questions, but always #listenlikewerewrong. #companyvalues.
- Are a pro at sourcing good stock photography, not the cheesy, “shake your hand while smiling at the camera” kind. You know what keywords to search for and can find great options quickly and efficiently.
Nice To Have:
- Proficiency in After Effects and experience developing motion graphics is a huge plus.
- A love for typography—you know the difference between a hyphen, en dash, and em dash, and when to appropriately use each one.
- You’re a wordsmith—you love to write and can copy-edit in your sleep.
- Bonus points if you’ve worked at an agency and have developed presentations for clients
- You have an understanding of conversion rates and know how to visually optimize paid ads to the fullest.
- Please include a link to your portfolio or provide samples of work.
- Submissions without portfolios will not be considered.
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!