Solutions Engineering Support I
Posted on Thursday, July 6, 2023
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
Alation is looking for a Solutions Engineering Support I to engage with our Account Executives to help ensure an excellent experience for our customers while developing the skills to eventually become the primary technical resource aligned to Alation’s field account teams. He/she will responsible for ensuring customer challenges and issues are proactively addressed in order to drive business value attainment across the Alation customer base, with primary responsibility for:
Driving issues to conclusion with proactive issue management for select customers
Regular communications keeping both customers and account teams informed of progress towards issue resolution
Understanding and documenting prospects and customers business and technical requirements both in relation to specific issues as well as in regard to their intended use(s) of Alation
Developing both the business and technical skills necessary to continuously add value to customers so that in time the role will:
Define and demonstrate best practice solutions to meet customer business objectives
Quantify the business value of the solution(s)Remove technical and process obstacles that prevent the successful implementation and adoption of Alation
Execute customer facing playbooks and workshops proven to accelerate user onboarding and adoption
Solutions Engineering Support I establish and maintain strong relationships with account teams supporting our customers. They are deeply committed to helping customers remove obstacles to their use case(s) and desired business outcomes from Alation. This commitment empowers the account teams to ensure success in implementation of the software and direct more time towards adoption. Additionally, Solutions Engineer I are able to clearly describe product feedback, and when possible provide data, back to the engineering and product teams.
Solutions Engineering Support I require excellent organization and communication skills in order to manage, update and resolve customer issues. They may also train end users on the product and monitor the ongoing progress following issue resolution to ensure success.
- Ensure customer issues (support cases, enhancement requests, feature enablement and/or guidance) are proactively monitored and resolved as efficiently as possible while keeping all stakeholders (customer, account team, product and support) informed and on task
- Document and refine with additional detail the business and technical requirements for issue resolution
- Deliver product demonstrations and solutions, both full product and specific feature
- Respond to RFIs, RFPs and RFQs
- Share product feedback and enhancements to Product and Engineering Team
- Contribute data to Alation knowledge programs and contribute to the Alation community
- Active participant and contributor to all of Alation’s community offerings
- Collaborate with team on learnings and best practices
- Develop and refine the business skills of a Solutions Engineer, including mastery of quantifying business value, Alation use cases and beneficiaries, presentation skills, demo etiquette, POV and adoption workshop execution and objection handling
- Develop and refine the technical skills of a Solutions Engineer, including data architectures and ecosystem, SQL, metadata, Linux and API’s
- In time, lead, own, and execute pilots and workshops, while conveying business value, with prospects and customers
- Able to travel throughout sales territory
- Ideal candidates must be self-motivated and with some exposure to related technologies (analytics, database, data integration, cloud platforms)
- Persistent and tenacious in ensuring that high volumes of customer issues are being addressed efficiently and that appropriate communication on statuses and resolutions happen in a timely manner
- Must be comfortable presenting to a business audience and be able to communicate professionally in written responses to emails, RFPs, and meetings
- Organized and analytical, able to eliminate obstacles or objections through creative and adaptive approaches
- Comfortable in the dynamic atmosphere of a technical organization with a rapidly expanding customer base
- 1-3 years of technical experience in data & technology is required
- Must be prepared for extensive travel to prospects, customer and marketing events
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!