Sr Machine Learning Infrastructure Engineer
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Redwood City, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the fourth time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
The Governance ML team works to enable automated curation of the Alation Data Catalog. We are the core AI/ML team at Alation. We deliver end to end solutions that include creating new infrastructure to enable AI/ML workflows, securely handle data, and continually update deployed models as well as the user interfaces and backing APIs features may require. Our goal is to speed adoption of the data catalog within customer deployments by making it easy to curate data and derive meaningful insights from it quickly.
What you'll do:
- Build flexible, scalable, and efficient infrastructure to power ML at Alation
- Design and build ML services for use by multiple internal product teams for training, evaluating, and serving models
- Implement and educate on industry best practices around data handling (integrity and security) and model pipeline curation
- Assist in making buy vs. build decisions for ML infrastructure components
- Stay abreast of current research and participate in regular paper review sessions
- Play active and consulting roles in feature development backed by ML across the company
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience designing, developing, and shipping software products and services
- 5+ years of experience building production-ready systems
- Demonstrated experience building ML infrastructure supporting launched SaaS products and features
- Highly comfortable working in Python with an interest in system languages such as Go
- Comfortable with ML modeling and concepts around the model development lifecycle
- Familiarity with PyTorch, Tensorflow, Numpy, JAX, or some subset thereof
- Experience developing in the AWS ecosystem
- Demonstrated ability to create efficient and scalable systems
- A desire to work in a small team but take on technical leadership of a critical area
Nice to have:
- Experience developing on top of Kubernetes-based infrastructure
- Experience with one or more MLOps platforms such as Sagemaker, Vertex, Metaflow
- Experience with open-source LLMs
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!