Director of Data Science
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 15, 2023
At WHOOP, we're on a mission to unlock human performance. WHOOP empowers its members to perform at a higher level by providing a deep understanding of the interactions between their unique physiology and chosen behaviors.
We’re looking for a talented leader for our data science team. This team owns the development of features that enable our members to understand their sleep, recovery, and exercise behaviors. We’re looking for someone with a track record leading a cross-functional technical team, who is able to identify new opportunities to leverage our large and growing physiological dataset.
- Lead a team of data scientists, providing guidance, mentorship, and professional development
- Collaborate with your technical leaders and product leadership to strategize, roadmap, prioritize, and execute on team deliverables
- Coordinate complex data science initiatives across the company
- Communicate results to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Develop, manage and scale the teams and their processes; evangelize these processes and best practices across the organization
- Identify technology gaps and work with the Director of ML Platform to scope solutions that increase team efficiency
- Identify new research areas and emerging technologies with potential applications to WHOOP's data science initiatives
- Collaborate with engineering teams to integrate data science models into production systems.
- Define and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure the effectiveness of data science initiatives and track progress towards goals
- Understand how our work impacts the business at large and communicate this back to the team
- Reports to the SVP of Data Science and Research
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field
- 8+ years of full-time professional experience in a related area
- 2+ years of success leading a team of diversely skilled data scientists with a demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team of data scientists
- Experience managing managers and growing leaders
- High bar for quality and commitment to delivering a world-class experience
- Consistently positive attitude, highly self-motivated, and able to inspire others to do their best work across the company
- Ability to zoom out and do thoughtful strategic work yet also roll up your sleeves and zoom into important details
- Expertise in scientific Python, proficiency in data manipulation, analysis, and visualization libraries; deep knowledge of statistical modeling techniques and machine learning algorithms
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excitement to work in a high energy, high growth startup environment
- Understanding of exercise physiology or athletic experience is preferred
This role is based in the WHOOP office located in Boston, MA. The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate if necessary to work out of the Boston, MA office.
Interested in the role, but don’t meet every qualification? We encourage you to still apply! At WHOOP, we believe there is much more to a candidate than what is written on paper, and we value character as much as experience. As we continue to build a diverse and inclusive environment, we encourage anyone who is interested in this role to apply.
WHOOP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-verify to determine employment eligibility