Quantum Error Correction Theorist
Infleqtion (ColdquantaLabs/Super.tech) is a global quantum technology company solving the world’s most challenging problems. The company harnesses quantum mechanics to build and integrate quantum computers, sensors, and networks. From fundamental physics to leading edge commercial products, Infleqtion enables “quantum everywhere” through our ecosystem of devices and platforms. We are recruiting for a Quantum Error Correction Theorist (QECT).
Infleqtion has 6 office locations, operating out of Austin, TX; Boulder/Louisville, CO; Madison, WI; Chicago, IL; Oxford, UK; and Melbourne, AU. This position is a full-time, hybrid position which will be located in our Chicago, Illinois office.
The newly hired QECT is responsible for designing and optimizing error correcting codes (QECs) for experimental quantum computing devices, modeling and analyzing QEC schemes, and advancing the understanding of QEC.
Job Responsibilities The duties and responsibilities outlined below include essential functions of the role. Depending on business needs, this role may perform a combination of some or all of the following duties. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned:
- Identify and pursue research that advances the understanding of QEC theory, techniques, and implementation in experimental quantum computing devices
- Develop and optimize QEC protocols tailored to experimental gate-based quantum computing devices, with a primary focus on neutral atom platforms
- Use mathematical models and numerical simulations to analyze the behavior and performance of QEC protocols
- Develop and implement custom QEC decoders
- Contribute to the identification and mitigation of noise processes in quantum systems
- Collaborate with experimental physicists and software engineers to bridge the gap between theoretical concepts and practical implementation
- Communicate and interpret cutting-edge research in both theory and experiment with colleagues
- Engage with the broader scientific community by publishing research findings in scientific journals and presenting at conferences
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in QEC and related field Provide guidance and support to other team members, fostering a collaborative research environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- PhD in theoretical physics, mathematics, computer science, or another field closely related to quantum information science; 2+ years of postdoctoral experience (or industry equivalent) in QEC is highly preferred
- Experience in tailoring error-correcting codes for quantum computing devices, and bridging the gap between theory and experiment
- Strong scientific publication record
- Proficient in scientific computing
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with all levels of an organization; Professional-level communication skills, including verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a highly collaborative, cross-functional, team-oriented, and matrixed environment
- Desire and demonstrated ability to thrive and produce results in a fluid, dynamic, and fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to learn new and complex topics quickly
- Resourceful problem-solver who collaboratively identifies effective paths forward with demonstrated expertise in executing productization efforts
- Passion for solving complex problems and challenges in a highly technical and scientific environment
- Ability to travel domestically and (potentially) internationally up to 10%
In addition to your base compensation, and being eligible for our newly implemented annual incentive/bonus program, we offer a generous Total Rewards program which includes:
- 100% company paid Employee coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision, and Short/Long Term Disability insurance programs
- Employer funded Health Savings Account
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- 401(k) safe harbor contribution
- Company paid Life and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible Savings Account
- Paid FMLA Leave
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Employer Assistance Program
- Student Loan Repayment
Here you have freedom to embrace your whole self: who you love, your gender identity and expression, skin color, age, appearance, disability, neurodiversity, DNA, military/veteran status, citizenship, and other factors that make up who you are. Your uniqueness is valued, welcomed, and appreciated here. We are dedicated to providing a positive workplace and base all employment decisions on your qualifications, performance, merits, as well as business needs. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
If this opportunity interests you and you fit the job description, please submit an application. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to disability, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.